Keeping to the Straight and Narrow
To maintain proper control of your car, you must keep your wheels in proper alignment. Otherwise, steering will become difficult, your tires will wear unevenly and your fuel economy will decrease.
Check to see if you need a wheel alignment:
- Make sure your tires are properly inflated. Then take your car for a test drive. Lightly rest your hands on the steering wheel, but don't steer. If your car drifts to either side, make an appointment with Duncan's Automotive.
- Inspect the tread on your tires for uneven wear. If the tread is worn down the middle, most likely your tires are over-inflated. If it's worn on the inside and outside of the tire, then your tires are probably under-inflated.
Computerized alignment equipment to diagnose your alignment angles including:
- Toe: the direction of the wheels towards or away from each (viewed from above the car).
- Camber: tilt of the wheels toward or away from each other (viewed from in front of your car).
- Caster: the angle of the steering axis in relation to the wheel. To visualize this angle, imagine a vertical line through the middle of your tire while standing on one side of the car.
- Thrust Angle: the relationship of all four wheels to each other. This time, imagine a centerline from bumper to bumper.
An alignment check at includes:
- Inspection of the steering and suspension components.
- Examination of the tires (size, inflation and wear).
- Comparison of your current alignment to the guidelines provided by your manufacturer.
Greater Improvements for Enhanced Driving
Increased driving comfort, as well as safer driving, is a result of improvements in suspension and steering. Other contributing factors include increased strength and durability of suspension components, as well as advances in tire construction.
During a check of your suspension system, Duncan's Automotive technicians examine your cars:
- Tie rod ends (inner and outer)
- Idler arm
- Pitman arm
- Rack and pinion unit
- Rack and pinion bellows boots
- Shock absorbers
- All other suspension components